Sunday, November 30, 2014

Forever grateful!

Aloha!

My last week was pretty good and challenging. I've been here for almost a month now and I think I'm getting used to biking on streets at night time. It was hard to bike at past 6 pm here but it was a fun experience. I feel like I already memorized most of the songs in the hymn book since I've been singing them every night while riding my bike. I feel protected and calm every time I sing LDS songs. 

We had our New Missionary Training last Wednesday. It went well. We got to talk and tell our concerns to our mission president. I was strengthened by the topics and the testimonies shared by my mission president and other missionaries.

We also had exchanges on Friday and I went with Sister Davidson. We covered the college ward and the 6th ward. I had fun! I love Sister Davidson. I learned many things from her. And plus she has a car so I loved it! I learned how to teach the gospel simply. That day I prayed sooo much. It was awesome! I also met Filipinas from the 6th ward and other wards. They came to see me at a member's house. I was super excited to speak in Tagalog with them. haha And yeah I also met people here who served their missions in the Philippines. They said they love Filipinos. They're awesome!

I am very thankful for the constant power of the Holy Ghost to inspire me and help me develop Christlike attributes. I always witness how the Savior pours his blessings upon missionaries by sending them the Holy Ghost to guide them in their every teaching appointment. Yesterday, we got to teach Amiah, my first investigator. Just a quick introduction for Amiah: We committed her to get baptized on our first discussion and she said "yes" and last week we set a baptismal date for her. She's gonna get baptized on the 26th of this month (yay!!). Her parents are both less actives but when they found out that Amiah was ready to get baptized, they were surprised and was very happy for her. Her grandma exclaimed that Amiah has just been waiting for a Filipina and Tongan to teach her. This young woman has been thinking about getting baptized for many years but rejected past missionary discussions and told them she wasn't ready. She attended church with her mom yesterday and she stayed for 3 hours. Love it!

So yesterday, I was not informed by my companion to teach Amiah the first few commandments (obedience, prayer, following the prophet, tithing, fasting, word of wisdom, keeping the Sabath day Holy and the law of chastity). And so I wasn't able to study before our discussion. To my surprise I was frustrated that I was not told about the lesson and that I relied on my own knowledge to tell and testify to Amiah the things I know about these commandments. I felt the Spirit telling me that Amiah still needs to know the correct steps to pray. But because I was frustrated and that we didn't plan on our lesson, I didn't talk about it. So I let my companion talk about prayer. After our discussion, I told my companion the feelings I had. Last night, while watching the District, I felt that I needed to talk to Sister Pahahau and tell her that I was not happy on what I felt during our discussion. She said we discussed about it before but I told her I was pretty sure she didn't tell me about our meeting with Amiah and that she's done that a few times. So I felt lost on some discussions. We talked and learned from each other. Hopefully we'll be able to work that out.

I know that though I didn't act on the promptings of the Spirit yesterday, the Savior still loves me and that He is always willing to send the Holy Ghost to help me even though at that moment, I wasn't prepared or that I wasn't able to read the lessons. I was humbled to ask for forgiveness to my companion on the way I acted and also to understand and forgive her in her weaknesses. I love my companion and that I am learning a lot from the mission field. I know that Amiah and other investigators I will meet in the future are precious souls in God's kingdom and that Heavenly Father loves them. I know that I need to focus on them and not be frustrated because of simple misunderstandings or simple mistakes we make as companions. 

Fun things I did last week: Cooked for my companion when she was sick. She liked what I made for her. :) We talked on having a "Luao" here to strengthen members, recent converts and less actives and to get investigators to know about the gospel. We planned on encouraging ward members and our zone to participate. Not sure yet if it will happen since they never did it before. Planning about having a Luao made me MISS HAWAII! :) Scraped ice on Sister Davidson's car. It was fun! We were told that the temperature is gonna drop to 20 degrees this week. Lovely! Gotta get ready for that! I love the gospel! :)

Love you all! I am grateful for you all you. Pardon me if you can't understand my email. I am writing this as fast as I can. Hope everything is going well for all of you!

Love,
Sister Taguba

No comments:

Post a Comment